Sunday, January 9, 2011

Confession #6: I drink during dinner.

On the nights that I make dinner for my family, which is most nights, I have to drink to survive.  This confession is quite simple:  I can hardly stand listening to the whining and complaining emanating from the mouths of my sweet, young babes.

I will NOT make dino chicken nuggets, pizza rolls, or noodles every single night of their lives, and this obviously causes major angst among the 5 and under set.  How dare I put together a well-balanced meal incorporating all the food groups?  How am I to expect them to eat more than two bites?  How dare I ask my children to try something that is not dipped in a hot vat of oil and served in a paper sack?  Maybe I should try that next time.  Sit in the car in the garage for 10 minutes, walk in, hand them my delicious homemade chicken noodle soup out of a Schlotzsky's bag, tell them I paid $25 for dinner, and then watch them scarf it down.  Nothin' else I'm doing is working.

So, the moral of this story?  I drink to survive.  It's the only way to handle dinnertime on our block.  Please excuse me while I go fix another grape vodka and Sprite Zero.....as dinnertime has only just begun.

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard of "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld? (Yes, Jerry's wife.) She advocated "hiding" good-for-you foods in regular "children-friendly" recipes. I think you may want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete